Wednesday, December 29, 2010

PAUL RUBIN R.I.P.

My oldest friend PAUL RUBIN passed away on Christmas Eve morning.

He was my running buddy back in the days of early teenage hood when I was young and innocent and Paul was a whole lot more sophisticated about the ways of the world; how to get around New York City and find the cool stuff (like THE MEMORY SHOP movie memorabilia joint) and girls. And most importantly, puppets!!!

(Me, Rowlf, Jim Henson, and Paul on the set of A SUMMER PLACE on CBS circa back in the day)

As everybody knows, I'm a puppeteer and have been since I could stick my hand over the crib. Paul was once a puppeteer too. That's how we met.
To New York City people of my generation there were a few truly magical names. Names like Sandy Becker, Soupy Sales and especially Chuck McCann. These guys had local TV shows with puppets and cartoons and they were on everyday and we all watched them. Some of us were adventurous enough to leave our living rooms and head to the TV studios where these heroes did their shows. I did. And so did Paul.

(That's Paul working the Paul Ashley puppets during a break at Chuck's WPIX-TV11 show LET'S HAVE FUN)

One day, at Chuck McCann's LAUREL & HARDY FIX-IT SHOPPE SHOW, our paths crossed. I went to Channel 5 and saw Chuck, who said I had to sit in the viewers booth today. So I climbed the lonely stairs and there behind the glass window sat a handsome boy about my own age with nicely-combed hair, wearing a well-tailored blue suit, with a pretty girl friend on his arm. When I walked in he turned and said to me "what the hell were you doing down there?" Well, I liked Laurel and Hardy and since I was Chubby I assumed the role of Ollie and said "Well never you mind!" Then skinny Paul began to cry like Stanley. And right at that moment we became life-long friends. We put together a Laurel and Hardy act. . . . . . and eventually performed on The Joe Franklin MEMORY LANE TV Show!

We built puppets, did shows at schools, and met the greats.

We learned "Who's On First" and did it for anyone who would listen.
(with JOEY FAYE in the hallway of WOR-TV9 prior to a JOE FRANKLIN appearance)

We traveled around the city, started a company RUMAR ENTERPRISES. . .

(with Jack Burns from Burns & Schrieber)

. . . met celebrities and even put out a magazine called Celebrity Post!

For almost 4 years we were inseparable.
New friends came into our lives and we went our several ways. Sometimes losing touch for years as craziness kicked in and yet? We never left each others hearts.
We reconnected in a more or less permanent way these past 10 years, talking a couple of times a month, a week, sometimes a day. The last few months were rough when Paul got sick, and then when I received an email from his sister Amy that he was taken to the hospital, I knew I had to visit him. But not just me. Remember earlier when I mentioned the name of kid show host Sandy Becker? When Sandy passed away Olga and I inherited his puppets, and one of Paul's and my favorite was a feisty little German named GEEBA GEEBA. When I walked into his hospital room, he was not alert. Amy rubbed his chest and brought him to consciousness and told him I was there. He struggled to open his eyes and when I caught his attention, I told him I brought someone to see him, and pulled Geeba Geeba from my black bag, put him on my hand and had him say:
"Hello dere Paul! Remember me? I remember you ven you used to be black und vite."
And he smiled. And they talked. And through Geeba, Paul and I reminisced about the highlights of our life together. He held Geeba's little hand and hugged him. When it was time to pack Geeba away, Paul struggled with his hand and signaled us closer. Geeba and I leaned down and Paul smiled and whispered to us "Thanks for the memories."

Paul, I want to say thank YOU, for the memories. You will always be part of my story.
http://flexitoon.blogspot.com/2010/04/for-love-of-laurel-and-hardy.html

6 comments:

  1. Craig, what a wonderful tribute you've written. My sympathies on the loss of your friend. Tom Hackett (a Facebook friend)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Geez, Craiger,
    A beautiful tribute and eulogy to a dear friend, one I didn't know you had -- the gravity is striking...you guys came up together, shared so much, were so integral to each other's destinies...how sweet you could say your goodbyes in a like creative manner that befit your union on this orb. May we all have a true friend like you toting a Geeba Geeba to our bedside as the next chapter nears. Sorry, Shel. Here comes life to grab us all one by one. A signal to dance. Wildly. Like never before. Smell the flowers? May we all eat them! Gentically fuse with them! "This could be the last dance, I don't know" -- Mick and Keef said it so wisely at such a young age.
    "Overture, curtains, lights
    This is it, you'll hit the heights
    And oh what heights we'll hit
    On with the show this is it!"
    - B. Bunny, 1946

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for nailing it. In rethinking the Paul, I was amazed to realize that we shared most of those adventures over the course of about 3 years! But as it turned out, 3 years was enough to last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love youCregga. So sorry.
    Bette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Craig, I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. You wrote a wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very sorry to hear about Paul Rubin's passing Craig..He was talented young guy..who left us all too soon.

    Mr.KTV

    ReplyDelete